With the holidays coming to an end, this is a perfect time to refine your diet and optimize your health. This amazing recipe features protein-rich fish as well as healthy fats that can help to lower spikes in blood sugar levels and also increase feelings of satiety. This low glycemic-index meal is perfect for anyone who is watching their carbohydrate intake, has diabetes, etc.
Ingredients for fish:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound wild caught fish (striped bass, hake, haddock, cod, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
Ingredients for squash:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Generously coat the fish with the olive oil. Combine the thyme, salt, pepper, and paprika, and then rub generously over the fish. Place the fish in a single layer in a baking dish. Place dish on middle rack in the oven; and bake until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil, then sauté the onion just until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots and squash plus ½ cup water. Steam the squash and carrots until tender. Place the steamed vegetables in a food processor and pulse to break down, then add the coconut butter and apple cider vinegar. Then puree until the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Serve the fish over a good sized portion of the squash puree.