This week’s recipe comes from Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and Paleo chef, Kelsey Ale. This Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Porridge is a great alternative to oatmeal as it is grain free and loaded with anti-inflammatory and high fiber flaxseed, tart green apple, as well as coconut milk (coconut milk is packed with energy boosting healthy fats to keep you going all day; no matter what your day throws at you). Kelsey also incorporates collagen protein into this porridge, which helps add a complete protein source without changing the flavor or texture (which is a big plus in my eyes!). I absolutely love that this recipe has no added sweeteners; instead it contains apples and vanilla extract that provide just the right amount of sweet flavor on their own! Warm and spicy cinnamon brings it all together for the perfect morning meal, especially as winter starts and temperatures drop!
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Serves: This recipe yields one serving
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 green apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 scoop collagen protein powder
- 2 tablespoons of either almond or coconut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- A dash of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract *optional*
- chopped nuts, cinnamon for garnish *optional*
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low, about 3-5 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Top with optional chopped nuts and cinnamon, serve warm, and enjoy!
Nutritional Breakdown Per Serving:
calories 331 • fat 23g • carbohydrate 20g • sugar 6g • protein 15g